Saturday 12 May 2012

Drop Ceiling Dilemma


Brian always says I use the word "hate" too liberally. But make no mistake when I say I hate, hate, hate our drop ceilings. I mean it. We have them in our bathroom, kitchen and nursery. NURSERY?! What clashes most baby decor? Drop ceilings, that's what.

When we first moved in our home, I was busy getting together everything else that I didn't have time to do much of anything with the ceiling tiles in the nursery. Sure, they bothered me but what could I do. Now that the girls are out of the nursery and Henri will be taking over I'm thinking about redoing the color scheme and again the TILES are bothering me. There's not a lot I can do. We don't own the house or plan on living in it forever so I don't want to invest much of any money into a project.

I've been looking into ways to improve the look of ceiling tiles but there's not a lot out there that either doesn't cost a lot of money or looks good. Once I tried using adhesive vinyl planks on the foam tiles but they were too heavy and fell off. Then I saw the photo above and thought, contact paper! Wood grain contact paper might work. The above photo was made by The Curiosity Shoppe using walnut and honey oak contact paper of varying widths. Get the tutorial at Apartment Therapy. Would this be a great idea for a ceiling? You could even blend the metal grid into the look I think.

Here are some other great wood grain contact paper ideas!
Wouldn't this be interesting on a ceiling? You could even cut the shapes on a Silhouette machine.
This could be done by first covering with the contact paper then painting over top.
Here are some interesting contact papers.
Design Your Wall

No comments:

Post a Comment